Governance NZ

Eligibility, exemptions & enrolments


To undertake the Governance New Zealand Professional Education Programme the applicant must be resident in New Zealand.*

Entry is available to those who hold a university degree or degree-equivalent qualification satisfying Governance New Zealand's entry requirements.

An entry qualification may be either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree. A degree-equivalent qualification may be a membership qualification for a related professional association.

*Members of The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) who hold Associate or Fellow status and have been a fully paid-up member in good standing for a minimum of two years, may be able to study from outside of New Zealand.
View full information

enquire about our fast track legal and finance study paths...


Students are required to successfully complete (either by study or exemption) six subjects in order to be considered for Associate Member status with Governance New Zealand.

A maximum of four subject exemptions are available, based on the degree studies completed by the applicant. These exemptions are only granted on the basis of demonstrated equivalent prior studies and currency.

Qualified legal and finance professionals with 5+ yrs post qualifying appropriate experience may qualify for our fast-track professional study path, which requires only two modules to be completed in order to satisfy the academic requirements of the Chartered Secretary or Chartered Governance Professional qualification, and to be considered for Associate membership of both Governance NZ and the Chartered Governance Institute. Enquire now for assistance with determining your eligibility for exemptions.

How to enrol

To be admitted to the Professional Education Programme, complete an application form and forward to Governance New Zealand Inc. along with a certified official academic transcript issued by your university or equivalent educational body.

If you wish to be assessed for potential module exemptions, you will also need to submit a current CV and copies of your degree certificates.

If you are enrolling as a non-award student (completing individual papers only) and do not wish to be admitted to the full Professional Education Programme, you are not required to submit an academic transcript or CV, unless you subsequently change your mind about completing the Programme.


Sandra Cohen
Education Manager
M: 027 230 5176